Bevan Commission International Conference 2018
7th Mar 2018 - 7th Apr 2018
The Celtic Manor Resort, Newport, Wales
The Bevan Commission, an independent and authoritative think tank for health and care in Wales which celebrates its 10 year anniversary in 2018 alongside the 70th anniversary of the National Health Service.
To recognise both of these prestigious occasions, the Commission is holding its first International Conference. The conference draws together a programme of eminent speakers who will share their experience and learning from across the health and care community within the UK and beyond.
The conference will be an opportunity to celebrate achievements across Wales as well as galvanise the combined responsibility of the NHS, industry, academia, the public and the third sector to contribute to the health and wellbeing of future generations. This will offer a unique opportunity for colleagues from all sectors to come together, share ideas, learn and network.
We will reflect upon the NHS’ origins in Wales and its achievements to date and look to the future. The conference provides the ideal opportunity to showcase new thinking and innovation generated within Wales to the rest of the world.
The Conference offers ‘A Call to Arms’ – challenging current thinking and practice to find sustainable solutions for health and care fit for the future.
Tuesday July 3rd: Looking back, moving forward and learning together
Day one will include consideration of the diversity of systems across the UK, drawing key speakers from Northern I, Scotland, England as well as Wales and will allow us to compare and contrast the strengths and weaknesses of each including a Question Time session with the audience.
Wednesday July 4th: Capturing the Passion in People for a sustainable future
Day two will look forward and identify how we might transform the system fit for the future, sharing our innovative ideas and building upon our knowledge to date including lessons from industry.
- Reflect upon the origins of the National Health Service, its ethos and principles and how this fits with the future
- Share and debate the diversity of approaches across the UK and internationally
- Reflect upon the Parliamentary Review and its implications for Wales
- Consider a new Prudent Social Model of health and care as a way of thinking and doing things differently
- Consider citizens ‘Rights and Responsibilities’ where health is everyone’s responsibility
- Identify ways to challenge and transform thinking and practice
- Provide a platform to share innovative solutions to meet future needs with key partners
- Challenge and champion health inequality and the practical actions for change
- Identify leadership challenges and solutions to transformational change
Internationally renowned speakers include:
Professor Sir Mansel Aylward
Professor Don Berwick
Professor Sir Michael Marmott
Dame Carol Black
Lt General Louis Lillywhite
Baroness Ilora Finlay
Sir Anthony Newman Taylor
Additional guest speakers – TBC
Ticket price includes the following:
Attendance to the conference on your selected day/ days
Lunch, light snacks and drinks throughout the conference
A drinks reception on the evening of Tuesday 3rd July