Bevan Commission to celebrate 10th birthday and NHS at 70 with commemorative book
27th Jun 2018
Wales’ premier health and care think tank to unveil book at International Conference on 3 & 4 July
Delegates at the Bevan Commission International Conference 2018 will take away a collection of personal reflections on the NHS in Wales from internationally renowned experts, which will chart its progress from its roots in Aneurin Bevan’s Tredegar to its technology-driven tomorrow.
The book, published by Wordcatcher and entitled 70 years on – what next? Personal reflections on the NHS in Wales from the Bevan Commissioners, will address challenges such as health inequalities and deprivation, and explore opportunities such as arts and health collaborations and emerging technologies.
Contributors to the commemorative book include international leaders in health policy, higher education, mental health, primary care, healthcare technologies, life sciences and much more.
The book jointly commemorates 70 years of the NHS and 10 years of the Bevan Commission, and explores the past, present and future of health and care in Wales from a global perspective.
David Norrington, Director of Wordcatcher Publishing Group Ltd, said: “We were delighted to be involved in this publication. This work contains ideas that need to be shared, and now they will be, globally. We love publishing work by talented leaders in their field of expertise, and have taken on several other academic works to be published in 2018/19.”
Tom Powell, Research Lead at the Bevan Commission and Editor of 70 years on – what next? said: "This book is a culmination of 10 fantastic years for the Bevan Commission and its curatorship of leading health and care expertise in Wales and celebrates 70 years of the NHS. It brings together personal reflections from Bevan Commissioners - some of today’s most influential figures in health and care policy and practice – whose senior leadership spans a variety of fields including NHS management, academic research, mental health policy, end-of-life care, technological entrepreneurship and more. We hope that delegates at the Bevan Commission International Conference enjoy their commemorative edition, and that many new audiences worldwide discover how Wales is at the forefront of innovative health and care thinking.”
- Don Berwick, President Emeritus and Senior Fellow at the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI)
- Helen Howson, Director, Bevan Commission
- Professor Sir Anthony Newman Taylor, President’s Envoy for Health, Imperial College
- Professor Sir Mansel Aylward, Chair, Bevan Commission and Life Sciences Hub Wales
- Nygaire Bevan, great niece of Aneurin Bevan and Board Member, Care Council Wales
- Professor Kamila Hawthorne, GP and Associate Dean for Medicine at the University of Surrey
- Professor Dame Sue Bailey, Chair of the Children and Young People’s Mental Health Coalition
- Professor Baroness Ilora Finlay of Llandaff, Professor of Palliative Medicine at Cardiff University and Deputy Speaker, House of Lords
- Professor Philip Routledge OBE, Emeritus Professor of Clinical Pharmacology, Cardiff University School of Medicine
- Chris Martin, Deputy Chair, Bevan Commission
- Professor Dame Carol Black, Expert Adviser to NHS England and Public Health England
- Trevor Jones CBE, Director General, The Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry (ABPI)
- Lt General Louis Lillywhite CB, MBE, Retired Surgeon General UK and Chatham House
- Fran Targett OBE, Director, Citizens Advice Cymru
- Mary Cowern, Wales Director, Arthritis Care
- Helen Patterson, Chief Executive, Walsall Council
- Professor Hywel Thomas CBE, is Pro Vice-Chancellor, Research, Innovation and Engagement, Cardiff University
- Professor John Wyn Owen, First Director of the NHS in Wales
- Sir Paul Williams OBE, Former CEO, NHS Wales
- Professor Sir Michael Marmot, Professor of Epidemiology at University College London
A commemorative edition of the book will be provided to all delegates attending the Bevan Commission International Conference 2018, which will take place on 3 & 4 July 2018 at the Celtic Manor Resort, Newport. The book will be available to purchase from Wordcatcher.com in print and electronically from major online ebook retailers.