The development of a virtual speech & language therapy educational programme
The development of a virtual speech & language therapy educational programme for family members to support those with speech and language difficulties.
How this will be achieved
- Identify suitable participants from all professionals involved with a communication impaired individual and their family.
- Use a scoping exercise and develop a summary handout that includes an explanation of the group to aid the identification of potential participants.
- Amend and send the screening questionnaire to all interested participants so that the most appropriate family members can be selected for the group
- Once a group of between 4-8 family members are selected, group dates/times etc. are agreed based on the preferences noted in the screening questionnaire.
- Outcome measures are agreed, sourced and sent to the selected group participants by assistant/admin support.
- While the measures are being completed and returned, the group facilitators will look at the pre-designed content and make changes as felt needed, including the accompanying workbook.
- Once all the completed initial measures are received, a virtual group invite together with the workbook will be sent out by admin/assistant support.
- Prior to the group starting, the content will be finalised and adapted, with a script developed for other therapists to be able to deliver the content in similar ways.
- Three facilitators will deliver the group. The Clinical Lead Speech & Language Therapist (SLT) will deliver with an assistant who can support the participants with technical access facilitates the group. A less experienced SLT will also assist with the content delivery and for professional development purposes.
- Evaluation and presentation of outcome data and results
- A comprehensive educational programme which can be delivered virtually for family members supporting those with speech and language difficulties. The session content covers: (1) Learning about Communication Difficulties (2) Neurological Recovery & Rehabilitation (3) Managing Successful Communication (4) Looking After Yourself to Live with Communication Difficulties. (5) Follow-up De-brief Session.
An evidence based programme which measures outcomes and promotes self management. The final content session and de-brief encourages ongoing self-management through signposting. Participants complete an online feedback form in the last session and are sent copies of the group content on receipt of final completed outcome measures.